Neil Island is situated 37 km away from Port Blair (headquarters of Andaman & Nicobar Islands), with an area of 18.9 square km. This Island has beautiful silver sandy beaches. Neil Island is especially known for its beauty, calm and peace. These places are preferable for both those who come for relaxation and who need full of joy. In Dec. 2018, Neil is renamed as Shaheed Dweep as a tribute to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose.
Neil Island is one of the most beautiful places to visit in Andaman. Neil is a coral island, i.e. that is made with the remnants of dead corals. During low tides, one can spend countless hours observing the unique and exquisite coral formations at the beaches. Unlike the nearby Havelock, this Island is a must-visit for those who want to experience tranquillity.
Locally Neil Island is also known as the vegetable bowl of Andaman” as it supplies a sizeable amount of fresh vegetables to other islands, especially to the capital city Portblair. Neil Island is connected by a small road, and one can enjoy the different beaches of the Island. It is possible to walk along the whole island in 3-5 Hours.
The Total Population of Shaheed Dweep is 3040 as per the census of 2011, and there is a total of 5 villages under one Neil Kendra Panchayat. Sitapur, Rampur, Bharatpur, Laxmanpur, and Neil Kendra are the 5 villages of Neil Island. The best Neil Island beaches are Laxmanpur Beach, Bharatpur Beach, Sitapur Beach, etc.
How to Reach Neil Island
Getting to Neil Island is by ferry. The Govt. ferry leaves at 6 am and you need to book tickets a day or two before. There is also a private catamaran Cruise but unlike govt. the ferry, Cruises are expensive. The Total journey time to Neil Island is about 3-4 hrs via Havelock. There are two daily Govt Ferry that reaches Neil Island directly, not via Havelock Island. the travel time is around 2 hours for direct ferries.
Port Blair to Neil Island Ferry Timing
- Govt Ferry – 06:30 AM, 11:00 AM [Direct from Port Blair]
- Green Ocean – 07:00 Hrs [Via Havelock]
- Makruzz – 08:00 Hrs [via Havelock]
- Nautika – 7:30 AM [via havelock]
- ITT Majestic
Ferry timings are approx.
Neil Island to Port Blair Ferry Timing
- Govt Ferry – 9:00 AM, 4:00 PM
- Makruzz – 11:30 AM, 04:00PM
- Green Ocean – 03:30 PM
- ITT Majestic
Places to Visit on Neil Island
The sandy beaches of the Neil Islands are known for hammocks under shady trees. Sitapur Beach is among the well-known beaches of the Neil Islands. Moreover, Neil Island provides the most eco-friendly spot for picnicking. In fact, at Sitapur, Laxmanpur and Bharatpur of the Neil Islands one can enjoy the serenity of the nature and blissful existence of village life. The coral is very beautiful and is an alternative to Havelock for snorkelling
- Bharatpur Beach is just half a km by Road and 100 m by walk, a distance from the Neil Boat Jetty.
- Most of the tourist wants to visit the place in the morning hours.
- We Info India also prefer this time to enjoy the beauty of these beaches.
- Activities like Swimming, Sun Bath, Water Scooter, Snorkelling and coral watching etc.
- It’s one of the finest sandy beaches on this Island.
- Natural drinks like Coconuts are available for refreshment.
- Changing room, Shower facility available.
- Laxmanpur is just 2 km away from the jetty of Neil.
- It’s a rocky beach so better avoid swimming here.
- Most of tourist prefers to visit in the evening because of Spectacular Sunset View.
Sitapur Beach is a beautiful beach located on the Neil Island of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands in India. It is located on the east side of Neil Island. It is about 7-8 km from the Neil Jetty. Sitapur Beach also has a few shops where you can enjoy tasty seafood. It is best for swimming, sunbathing, and relaxing on the beach.
It is known for its peaceful, calm, and clear waters, and is the best beach for swimming and sunbathing. This beach is to enjoy beautiful views of the sunrise. The beach is surrounded by lush green trees and the crystal clear water makes this place perfect for photography.
The best time to visit Sitapur Beach is from mid of September to May, this place is calm and peaceful at this time. If you are planning a trip to the Andaman Islands, Sitapur Beach at Neil Island is the best place to visit.
How to reach Sitapur Beach
Shaheed Dweep can be reached by ferry from Port Blair. Regular government and private ferries run between Port Blair and Neil Islands; the journey takes 2 hours. Visitors can reach Neil Island by private boats or seaplanes.
Once you reach Neil Island, you can hire a taxi or scooter to reach Sitapur Beach. This beach is located on the island’s west coast and is about 7-8 kilometres from Neil Jetty. Read More
Natural Bridge is just 5 km away from the jetty of Neil. It’s the Rock shape of a Bridge. There is no good beach. it’s a Bridge, known as the Howrah Bridge.No activities are available on this beach but here Snorkelling can be arranged by some local vendor.
Neil Island Hotels / Resorts
Neil Island is one of the fast-growing tourist destinations and must-visit places of the Andaman Islands. There are many hotels and Resorts on Neil Island, from budget-friendly to Luxurious. Some of the best lists of hotels and resorts are:
- TSG Aura
- TSG Aura Resort is a well-known beachfront resort in Neil Island. It offers comfortable accommodations and a range of amenities for guests to enjoy. The resort provides various room options, including cottages and villas designed to provide a relaxing and serene environment.
- Aquays Resort
- Pearl Park Beach Resort
- Coconhut beach Resort
- NK Eco Resort
- Tango Beach Resort
- Summer Sand
- Hotel Shreesh Neil
- CS Empire
Things to do in Neil Island
- Relax on the Beaches: Neil Island is home to some stunning beaches, such as Bharatpur Beach, Sitapur Beach, and Laxmanpur Beach. Spend your time sunbathing, swimming, and enjoying the tranquil surroundings.
- Scuba Diving in Neil Island: Explore the underwater world surrounding Neil Island. scuba diving excursions to witness colourful coral reefs, exotic fish, and other marine life. Neil Island offers several dive sites that cater to divers of different experience levels. Some of the popular dive sites include Bharatpur Beach. When scuba diving in Neil Island, you can encounter a wide variety of marine life, including colourful coral reefs, tropical fish species, sea turtles, rays, eels, and sometimes even reef sharks. The coral reefs are vibrant and provide a beautiful backdrop for your dive.
- Snorkelling: It is one more activity to enjoy the corals.
- Natural Bridge: Visit the Natural Bridge, also known as the Howrah Bridge. It is a unique rock formation created by the natural process of erosion. You can witness the breathtaking sight of waves crashing through the bridge during high tide.
- Exploring: Neil Island is relatively small and can be easily explored by bicycle renting. Ride through the rustic roads, explore the villages, and soak in the island’s laid-back atmosphere.
- Visit the Neil Island Jetty: Take a leisurely stroll along the Neil Island Jetty, which offers picturesque views of the clear turquoise waters and neighbouring islands. It’s a great spot to witness stunning sunsets.
- Sunrise at Sitapur Beach: Wake up early and head to Sitapur Beach to witness a mesmerizing sunrise. The golden hues of the sun rising above the horizon create a magical experience.
- Visit the Local Market: Explore the local market on Neil Island to experience the island’s culture and buy souvenirs. You can find handicrafts, seashell jewellery, and locally made products.
- Relax and Unwind: Neil Island is an ideal destination to unwind and disconnect from the hustle and bustle of daily life.
Best Restaurants in Neil Island:
There are lots of best restaurants in Neil Island:
- Vibes and Dives
- Shakahari Pure Vegetarian
- Pure Veg Restaurant
- Kiran Restaurant
- Gayatri Restaurant
- The Island Spices Restaurant
- and more